At St Thomas of Canterbury the children have lots of opportunities to take part in a wide range of sporting events. In addition to the children’s allotted two hours of timetabled Physical Education, the Mertons School Sport Partnership arrange extra curricular sporting activities for all Year Groups.
A Sports Day takes place each year where the children take part in a range of competitive sporting events. Last year’s Sports Day took place on Commonside East: it was a great day for all of the children as well as parents and teachers. These are great occasions to come and celebrate participation and success with the children.
Furthermore, children in Upper Key Stage 2 take part in many inter-school sporting competitions arranged by the partnership which include football, tag rugby, cricket, netball and rounders.
Take a look at our School blog to find out how we are doing!
PE and Sports Premuim for Primary Schools
In 2013 the government introduced the new PE and Sport Premium which was designed to help primary schools improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils. The additional funding has been used in the following ways to support the children:
- hire specialist PE teachers
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with teaching resources to help them teach PE and sport, such as specialist training and coaching
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs
- run sports activities and competitions with other schools.
Please see below listed expenditure documents detailing funding received, allocation and planned sporting expenditure for specified academic years.